If you want to sow seeds, but you have no idea where, when or how to plant seeds, we have the solution for you. At Trowbridge Garden Centre we have all kinds of different seeds, from garden plants to herbs. Look at the back of any seed packet from the range in our garden centre and you'll find a lot of very useful information - not only what the plant looks like, but also how to sow and grow it. If you choose a seed package, try to figure out if these seeds are suitable for your garden, balcony or patio.
7 terms explained on how to sow seeds
But some of the terms used on the packaging can be baffling if you're just starting out in gardening. No worries, we explain the often mentioned steps. So here's our jargon buster to help you translate:
- F1 Hybrid: a variety produced by crossing two pure strains to produce a completely reliable new plant
- Under glass: the seed is sown with some protection, usually in a greenhouse or cold frame
- Drill: shallow V-shaped groove in the ground to sow the seed into. Use the corner of a rake or the tip of a trowel to make the drill.
- Flat-bottomed drill: flat-bottomed trench, U-shaped and often used for peas and broad beans
- Prick out: lift young plants out of the seed tray and replant them into pots of compost
- Transplant: transfer the plant from pot to its final growing position, usually outdoors in the garden
- Harden off: acclimatise young plants gradually to outdoor conditions, usually over a couple of weeks
When sow seeds?
When to sow seeds, depends on the garden plant, herb or flower. Some seeds need to be sown in September, other seeds can be planted in early spring. We always recommend taking a look at the packaging to be sure you sow your seeds at the right time. Make sure you plant your seeds in well-drained soil, this contributes to the growth of the plant, flower or herb. If you have any questions about when to sow your seeds, our staff at the garden centre is always happy to help. If you need advice about the given instructions, our members of the staff can help you out.
Seeds at Trowbridge
We hope you'll enjoy sowing seeds as much as we do. We look forward to seeing you at the garden centre and we hope you will share the growth of your little babies with us. If you need help or have any questions about sowing seeds, feel free to contact us. Please ask the staff in our garden centre in Trowbridge - Wiltshire for more information and advice about the terminology used on seed packets.