Excited to plant spring bulbs in your garden? The first young sprouts that grow from the in snow-covered winter landscape give a real spring fever. Those first optimistic green shoots peeking through are a true sign that winter is on the wane. The colder days are further behind us and now we slowly can start thinking of our spring flowers that will show up in the garden and landscapes.
Spring is the best flower bulb season
Spring is the most beautiful season when it comes to flower bulbs. Plant spring-flowering bulbs in fall, so you can enjoy the stunning plants in spring. From September, our garden centre in Trowbridge-Wiltshire is packed with all varieties of spring bulbs. We offer new and traditional bulb types. Discover new species and plant bulbs in layers in a pot. Plant bulbs that bloom latest first, followed by February-blooming spring bulbs and top off the pot with early bloomers like snowdrops and crocuses. This way, you enjoy spring bulbs as long as possible, in only one pot. With a large selection of spring bulbs from our garden centre in Trowbridge - Wiltshire, you can cheer up yourself and your garden from January to early summer. Check out our fabulous spring fever range at our garden centre in Trowbridge - Wiltshire.
Early-bloomers for spring fever
Early-bloomers are perfect to wash away your winter dip. At Trowbridge Garden Centre, we think you can't start soon enough with spring bulbs. Luckily, there are several spring bulbs that already appear when you are just eating New Years Eve's leftovers.
- In January, just after New Year, the first snowdrops appear tall 'Atkinsii', or 'John Gray' carrying large flowers on arching stems. Scatter other January jewels at their feet for contrast: bright yellow winter aconites, or pretty pink Cyclamen coum.
- February is the time for crocuses – 'Snow Bunting' is pure white, while purple Crocus tommasinianus spreads happily through rough grass. Grow them with exquisite dwarf irises, just 10cm tall: 'Katharine Hodgkin' has curious greyish-purple petals, 'Harmony' is a slatey blue, while 'J.S. Dijt' is vibrant purple. Just a little longer wait until the real splash of colour appears in gardens, borders, and landscapes.
- In March, the show really gets going. Brilliant yellow daffodils, blue perfumed hyacinths, a sprinkling of bright pink Anemone coronaria and perhaps some white Chionodoxa (Glory of the Snow) make a riot of floriferous colour. This is definitely our favourite month of the year.
- March is also the right time to get your summer bulbs at Trowbridge Garden Centre. Wait until the chance of frost is over, or start planting summer-flowering bulbs indoors, or in greenhouses. Ask our staff for more information about summer-flowering bulbs.
When to plant spring bulbs
To enjoy the colourful flowers of daffodils, crocuses, snowdrops, and other spring-flowering plants in spring, you have to know when to plant spring fever bulbs. Plant spring bulbs in fall, from September to October in well-drained soil. Most spring flower bulbs love full sun or a dappled shade location. Choose a sunny site in the garden, so the bulbs can soak as much sun that's possible. We offer a large range of spring-flowering bulbs from September at our garden centre. You will find lots of varieties. Ask our staff for the latest arrivals. We offer new varieties every year. Try new things and mix up varieties to create the ultimate colourful spring border!
How to plant spring bulbs
Spring-flowering bulbs have different sizes and bloom in different ways.
- Plant spring fever bulbs about three times as deep as the bulb itself. Most of the time, this is the rule of thumb by planting spring-flowering bulbs.
- Add a handful of grit to help improve drainage in heavy soil. Check if you have heavy or light soil. We can do a soil check for you at our garden centre. Bring a cup of soil to our garden centre, and we investigate your soil and hand over a personal fertilize program.
At Trowbridge, we have many staff members that have a large knowledge about bulbs. If you have deeper questions about spring fever bulbs, we'd love to invite you to our garden centre in Trowbridge - Wiltshire.
Buy spring bulbs at Trowbridge
Get the most beautiful spring fever bulbs at Trowbridge Garden Centre. We offer a wide range of spring-flowering bulbs from August and September. Please ask the staff in our Trowbridge - Wiltshire garden centre for more information and advice about spring fever bulbs for a springtime display.