Garden borders are part of your garden design and contribute to your garden style. Whether you have a sunny or shady, a wet or dry, or a sheltered or exposed border, any border can become a beautiful border. Trowbridge Garden Centre offers a wide range of different types of border plants. Think of which style you want to create in your garden and visit our garden centre to shop for any coloured garden plant.
Garden border design
If you want to design a garden border, keep a few things in mind:
- Work in harmony with your garden. Spend time noticing your border’s characteristics: sunny or shady, wet or dry, sheltered or exposed?
- Research to find flowers and plants you like. Choose plants with the same growing conditions, like sun exposure, water needs and soil needs. Make combinations of plants with different blooming periods to extend your flowering season.
- Consider maintenance carefully. If you don’t have a green thumb, rose bushes, fruit, vegetables, and floppy perennials are no good idea. Instead, choose favour shrubs, ornamental grasses and tough perennials. Every garden plant needs a little attention once established to avoid pests and diseases.
- Choose a planting theme. Find yourself a suiting planting theme, like a Mediterranean, Ibiza, Bali, modern, cottage garden or Botanical inspired garden.
Different garden styles
To create your dream garden, you have to think of different garden styles you can implement. For example, think of any garden styles like these:
- Coastal Garden
- Formal Garden
- Rock Garden
- Cottage Garden
- Japanese Garden
- Mediterranean Garden
- Modern Garden
- Meadow Garden
- Traditional Garden
Every garden style has its own border plants that suit the style. Visit our garden centre in Trowbridge - Wiltshire to discover all of the options. Do some research to have an idea of the different garden styles available. Let’s create the ideal garden-styled border.
Colourful purple border
If you want to add colour to your garden, but you want to keep it simple and modern, we recommend using purple flowers. Purple flowers look very luxurious. Here’s a list of our favourite purple garden flowers.
- Anigozanthos flavidus
- Symphoricarpos orbiculatus
Best blue flowers for your garden
Flowers come in a huge range of colours, but blue blooms are relatively rare. Blue flowers add some mystery and interest to your border and create a calming and relaxing vibe. We have sky blue, royal blue, and light blue flowers. We show you which flowers are perfect for adding to your blue border:
Wonderful white flowers
A white border makes your garden look wider. White flowers reflect light and bring a serene, magical quality to any setting. Plant a whole section of white flowers for maximum impact. When the evening comes, you can enjoy white flowers;’ subtle glow. Create a pure garden with these white border plants:
Buy garden border plants in Trowbridge
Our garden centre in Trowbridge-Wiltshire, near Bath, is fully stocked with all kinds of border plants. Get your wishlist ready and shop for everything you need for a colourful border. Shop annual border plants, though perennials or ornamental grasses. Explore our garden plants section and collect all of the species you like. Combining plants with different heights, flowering time, and colours make your garden look beautiful.